Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Into the Dark (Alexis Carew #1) by J.A. Sutherland

Into the Dark (Alexis Carew #1)At fifteen, Alexis Carew has to face an age old problem - she's a girl, and only a boy can inherit the family's vast holdings. Her options are few. She must marry and watch a stranger run the lands, or become a penniless tenant and see the lands she so dearly loves sold off. Yet there may be another option, one that involves becoming a midshipman on a shorthanded spaceship with no other women.

REVIEW: ***
This book was ok, but not great. There were times I was so bored with the story that I almost put the book down and forgot about it. I did finish it, but it took me several days. I liked the main character, a bit naive but one to stand up for herself and others. There was no real action/fighting in this book. A few times here and there, but nothing major. It felt like a set up to lead into another book...and I guess it is. 

I don't really understand the science in this one...they are using sails and have to rig them manually to get them to work...more like actual water sailing vessels than science fiction starships. Seemed archaic, not futuristic. Also the attitude toward women. It seems as though they digressed back to the 1700s with those attitudes and it threw me off. In most science fiction I have read the women are, for the most part, treated like equals and capable of doing just about anything. In this book it was like they were once more a man's property...unable to vote (ridiculous), unable to inherit/own property (again ridiculous). I understand it was a colony world they were on, but didn't the women who colonized the world object to being treated like second class citizens? It just did not make sense to me. 

Overall an ok book, but not a series I am sure I will pursue. 

Book Finished: 05-14-2015

No comments:

Post a Comment